Want to install Joomla on HostGator shared hosting server using quickinstall? This tutorial is for you!
Table of Contents
How to Secure your Joomla Website During Installation
Before you begin the installation of Joomla on HostGator using quickinstall, we recommend you see this section on securing your Joomla website during the installation processes.
Your Joomla website could easily be hacked as a result of weak administrative password. To make your administrative password difficult to guess, use password with strong combinations. A combination of numbers, special characters, etc, should be used!
Before installing Joomla on HostGator using quickinstall, see the complete Joomla tutorial on securing your Joomla website during installation for detailed instructions..
About HostGator Web Hosting
HostGator is another web hosting provider owned by the same group that runs BlueHost, iPage and JustHost. HostGator guarantees upto 99% uptime.
If you are looking for that web hosting provider that would make a refund (within an agreed date), if you don’t like their web hosting services. That hosting provider is HostGator. They have a refund policy (of 45 day money back), if you don’t like their web hosting services.
Signup with HostGator to get started.
Pros of HostGator (Advantages)
There are advantages of using HostGator, you have to know them before creating an account with HostGator. These advantages are as a result of the excellent web hosting services HostGator offers.
The pros of HostGator are:
- Excellent customer support (24/7)
- Free website migration
Cons of HostGator (Disadvantages)
The truth is that no web hosting provider offers 100% web hosting services, but, at least their web hosting services are recommendable (not all)! HostGator too has its own cons.
We recommend you see the cons (below) before signing up with HostGator (to know the disadvantages of hosting a website with them)!
The cons of HostGator are:
- No free domain
If after reading the cons of HostGator (above), and you’d still love to signup with them, take a visit to HostGator’s web hosting plans page to get started.
What do I Need to Install Joomla on HostGator?
There are three (3) things you need before you can use quickinstall to install Joomla on HostGator (the last one is optional). They are used to setup a complete Joomla website (without paid Joomla extensions and templates).
Here are the three things you need in order to be able to install Joomla on HostGator using quickinstall:
- An active web hosting account with HostGator – this is where your website files and folders will be stored. To install Joomla using quickinstall on HostGator, you need to purchase a web hosting plan with HostGator. If you already have an active web hosting account with HostGator, you can still proceed!
- An active domain name – this is the unique name your Joomla website users will use to find/locate you. You could use an active domain name you already own, or, you can still register a domain name with any domain name registrar of your choice. It will stll work regardless of the domain name registrar, (whether HostGator or not), it doesn’t have to be HostGator!
- An SSL certificate – this will be used to transfer sensitive information without being visible to third party users. In this case, an SSL certificate is optional. A web hosting account with HostGator and a domain name only is required!
With the help of quickinstall in HostGator, you can easily and quickly install Joomla, just in seconds!
This tutorial on installing Joomla on HostGator, is written with steps and pictures, that would help you to understand this tutorial better.
Let’s look at the steps to install Joomla on HostGator using quickinstall.
Step 1 – Log in to the Control Panel of Your HostGator Web Hosting Account
Login to the Control Panel (cPanel) of your HostGator web hosting account. When you are logged in, click on quickInstall. It’s located under the softwares section.
Step 2 – Opening the QuickInstall Page
On the quickinstall page, click on one-click install . One-click install is located on the site builders and CMS section.
Step 3 – Selecting Joomla from the List of CMSs
Since we are installing Joomla (on HostGator shared server using quickinstall), we’ll select it from the list of Content Management Systems available. To select the Joomla software, click on Joomla (on the one-click install page).
Step 4 – Selecting the Domain and Subdomain to Install Joomla on HostGator
It’s time to select the domain and subdomain you’d like to install your Joomla website on. Select the domain and enter the name of the subfolder (subdomain) you’d like to install Joomla on. If you’d like to install Joomla on the root domain, only select the domain and leave the subdomain box empty. But, if you’d like to install your Joomla website on a subdomain, enter the name of the subfolder/subdomain you’d like to install Joomla on and click proceed. The subdomain is automatically created (when proceed is clicked), only if a name is entered into the subdomain input field.
Installing your Joomla website to a subdomain looks like this: example.com/blog. Where blog is the subdomain or name of the subdomain. Accessing example.com without blog will show a different thing entirely, because during the installation of Joomla, you didn’t install Joomla on the root domain but to the subdomain. To access the correct URL, add /blog to the end of your URL, and it will become example.com/blog.
All of the new articles, modifications, etc, of your Joomla website will only be seen on example.com/blog. To access to administrative login URL of your Joomla website, add /administrator to the end of /blog . It becomes example.com/blog/administrator. You can still use a different name for your subdomain during installation, not necessarily blog.
If you install Joomla on the root domain, (leaving the subdomain field empty, installs Joomla on the root domain), it will look like this: example.com. To access the administrative login URL, add /administrator to the end of your Joomla website URL. It will look like this example.com/administrator.
The homepage URL of your Joomla website will be example.com. All the articles, modifications, etc, will be seen on the root domain/URL (example.com). This is because you installed your Joomla website to the root or main URL/domain during installation.
After selecting your desired domain and entering a name into the subdomain field/leaving the subdomain field empty, click next to proceed to the next installation stage.
Step 5 – Entering the Admin Details
The new page lets you enter the admin details for the Joomla website you are installing on HostGator using quickinstall. These admin details are: admin username, site name and admin email.
Let’s see them one after the other:
- Admin Username – this is the administrative username you’d like to use for your Joomla website. Enter the username you’d like to use as your admin username.
- Site Name – this is the site title of your Joomla website. It appears above/beside the browser address bar. Where it appears is called the title bar . Enter a few words that describes your Joomla website.
- Admin Email – this is the administrative email address your Joomla website will use. It will help you recover your Joomla admin password, Joomla admin username, etc. Enter the Email address you have access to. For security pupose, we recommend a new Email address that has a complex password combination.
Step 6 – Final Stage
Wait for Joomla to install on HostGator. Look at the progress bar at the right side of your screen. If Joomla installed successfully, the progress bar will show you a success message. If Joomla didn’t install successfully, the progress bar will show you.
If Joomla Installed successfully on HostGator, click on either login to log into the control panel of your newly installed Joomla website, or click on view my installs to view your newly installed Joomla website installation details.
Here are the quick steps to install Joomla using quickinstall on HostGator shared server:
- Login to the Control Panel (cPanel) of your HostGator account and click on quickInstall .
- On the quickInstall page, click on one-click install.
- On the one-click install page, click on Joomla software.
- Select the domain and subdomain to install Joomla on.
- On the installation settings page, enter your admin username, site name, admin Email. Check the create new database for this installation. Read HostGator’s terms of service, if you agree, tick the check box and click install.
- Check the progress bar to know if Joomla successfully installed on HostGator. If it was successful, either login to the control panel, or you view your new website on HostGator.
How to Install Joomla Locally On Android Using PHP Runner
Joomla could be Installed using PHP Runner on Android. It enables you build Joomla on a local webserver which is much faster than building Joomla on a live webserver.
To install Joomla locally on Android using PHP Runner, take a look at our complete Joomla tutorial that teaches you how to install Joomla locally on Android using PHP Runner for detailed instructions.
After installing Joomla (whether on HostGator using quickinstall or not), it is certain that you’ll need some tutorials on Joomla to get you started. These Joomla tutorials are the ones every beginner would love to read.
Here are some Joomla tutorials to get you started after installing Joomla:
- how to create a tag in Joomla
- how to create a banner category in Joomla
- how to change server time zone in Joomla
- how to change default admin and site language in Joomla
- how to create a new user in Joomla
- how to load/display a module in Joomla article
Want more Joomla tutorials? Get them on the Joomla tutorials section of this website (JovialGuide).
How to Secure Your Joomla Website Against Hackers (Best Practices)
Surely, after installing Joomla (whether on HostGator using quickinstall or not), you’ll always want to protect your Joomla website against hackers. There are several ways/methods hackers use to hack into your Joomla website. Even with the use of weak admin password, nulled Joomla templates and extensions, poor web hosting, etc.
See the best Joomla security practices for detailed instructions.
How to Choose the Best Joomla Web Hosting Provider?
There are several other web hosting providers that offer Joomla web hosting services. With the availability of hundreds of them, you may find it difficult to choose a web hosting company to host your Joomla website.
If you are looking for HostGator alike web hosting company to host your Joomla website, or you are looking for other best Joomla web hosting companies, see the top 10 best Joomla web hosting companies for detailed instructions.
When one talks about the best web hosting companies, HostGator is always on the list! What you should know about web hosting companies is that; out of all, none is perfect, including HostGator which is the reason for this tutorial! HostGator has it own problems (same as every other web hosting company).
HostGator is one of the best web hosting companies, their quickinstall helps you quickly install Joomla on HostGator’s shared hosting server, without having to go to the usual long installation processes of Joomla. Signup with HostGator to get started.